So I'm sending this out to all the students (past and present) to whom I have access through the internet, and I know that a few of you are checking this blog:
I'm starting a penpal program for my Nepali students who are really interested in making American friends about their same age. I also want them to be able to practice using their English with native speakers. Most of my students' written English here is absolutely fantastic so you shouldn't have too much problem understanding them. (The difficulty will be in them being able to understand you, but I will be here to help translate.)
What I need you to do (or anyone you know who is interested, from about age 10 on up to 18, but ages 10-15 are probably the best) is email me a simple letter all about yourself and asking questions to a Nepali student to whom you will later be assigned.
You can start the letter with "Dear Student,"
And then I need your letter to include the following:
Your Name, Age, GradeStreet Address
Email Address (though few of these students know how to use email or have access to a computer; I am hopefully going to teach them how to use email and set them up with addresses)
Talk about your family (how many brothers and sisters, etc.)
Talk about classes you take at school
Talk about your interests, hobbies and talents
Talk about what you like
Ask them about their family, classes, interests, talents, what they like, etc.
IMPORTANT:
Please type clearly, without chat or IM abbreviations and with as little slang as possible
(If you want to teach them some slang, that is terrific! Go ahead, just don't throw something random in there and expect them to understand.)
Try to send these letters as soon as you can, like within the next week, so I can help them get responses to you soon! Their letters back to you will probably be sent through the mail and I will take pictures of them that we can include in the letter back to you.
Please send your letters only as a message (not on my Wall) on my Facebook account or to my email address camille.kingman@gmail.com. Do not send letters to my school email address or through PowerSchool because I cannot access those accounts in Nepal.
I know that this seems pretty simple (I think it should only take you 10 minutes maximum to do this) but it will be a GREAT act of service to these students here! Thanks guys!
2 comments:
Wow, great idea, Camille. I hope you get some takers. Dad
In 2 days I've already collected about 15 letters. . . my students are the best, what can I say? Thanks so much!
Post a Comment